Search This Blog

Sunday 2 October 2011

Diary Entry - 2nd October, 1916

Walford: Monday at eight thirty a.m. I set out with one signaller and one gun for the infantry, this time as liaison officer for the 59th Brigade. I also relieved Hoyland and ran a wire from his dugout along the trench to the infantry's HQ, and so we had two wires or ought to have, but the brigade had not run a wire out there when I arrived. It was expected to arrive any minute. The orderly officer did eventually lay one out, getting there about one p.m. There was to be another nibble at the redoubt in the afternoon, but it rained and so it was put off. Bosch evidently knew about it, as he commenced at three, when our zero was at three fifteen p.m., but he only kept it up till about four p.m. The Royal North Lancs. were relieved that night by a battalion of the Worcesters of the same brigade. The trenches were in a shocking state in the morning as it had rained heavily throughout the night and was still drizzling in the morning. My relief arrived at nine fifteen a.m. – earlier than I expected– and we wended our way back, following the wire on the way.

Bee: I started digging a sleeping place for myself last night, after putting it off many times, as thought we would be shifting any hour. Got a fine hole dug when it started to rain about 11 a.m., and it has been raining solidly all day and everything is in an awful mess. They put over a good many spones[?] last night. Up till now, I have been living in a little hole I cut in the side of the trench, but I don't like it, as I felt it might fall in any time. At present my new place is full of water but, if it is dry tomorrow, it will soon dry and I will be able to get the roof on. This has been one of the most depressing days – water and mud everywhere and everything wet. But our mess cook is the most cheerful soul and, although he has been wet through since lunchtime, he is singing,  and he gave us afternoon tea and lunch as usual. There was to be a fairly big attack this afternoon but it had to be put off on account of the wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment