Search This Blog

Monday 22 November 2010

Diary Entry - 22nd November, 1915

In the morning we discovered we were on a branch line but could not discover where we were making for. The train stopped two or three times but, though we hunted for café au lait and eatables, they were not to be found.

At 11.30, we pulled into a siding, which we found out to be Béthune, and we were standing about on the siding listening to the guns, which by this time were quite audible, when an officer told us we were to haul our luggage off the train and go at once to headquarters near the market square. We all toddled off and, on arrival, were rushed into a staff captain's office. He posted us to brigades straightaway, and from then on our nice little party of 10 was broken up.

Bee and I found two men (Tommies) with an ammunition wagon and saddle horses ready to take us off to the 36th Brigade ammunition supply depot, and we mounted our horses and got underway. We were very much struck by the damage in the town. You could see some very heavy shells had been planted about – they proved to be 15 inch and had absolutely demolished some of the houses.

We passed over a canal and headed due east along a small canal, reaching our destination, which was 3 miles out, at about 1.15. There were three officers there, who were not expecting us, but they got some lunch and made us feel comfortable. I'm afraid we never left much on the table - we were very ravenous as had not had any breakfast.

Lunch over, we departed for 36th Brigade headquarters, which we were told were in a small village called Cambrun, about 8 miles away. The same two men acted as our guides, and we had to go back through the town to get over the canal. A fog came over at 3.00, and it was very thick and damp.

We eventually got to Cambrin at 4.15 but took some time to find brigade headquarters as they had just moved into a new house and no one seemed to be able to place them. The adjutant and colonel did us very well when we did find them and gave us a nice tea.

As soon as that was over, we were packed off to our allotted batteries. Bee to 15th, myself to the 48th, which was only about two minutes walk from the brigade headquarters. On stumping into our mess, I found three subalterns at tea, the OC being in bed with a cold. However, as soon as tea was over, I was taken in to Captain Grant Suttie and told him what work I had not done, but he said that I would soon pick it up. My kit was put in a wee room adjoining the OC's, but I could not possibly unpack my kit, as it was full of other people's things, so I have to sleep on it till a better day. I forgot to add that two other men were also attached to our battery for instruction. They come from a Terrier regiment.

That evening a junior subaltern called Siggers took me round to the battery's position and gave me a shock by ordering a gun to fire for my benefit. And after dinner we went out and had four rounds of gunfire into Auché, which just about broke me in.

2 comments: