Search This Blog

Tuesday 7 December 2010

Diary Entry - 7th December, 1915

My day off duty and nothing very much to do. Hoyland and I ride down to the wagon line at eleven to see stables and return at one for lunch. This is the first time I have tried my horse, which arrived yesterday. It is not a very wonderful animal, and I see a nice bay in Hoyland's section, which looks a better animal. The other horse, which I visit after lunch, is a heavy looking thing with a very puffed up near hind leg, which Potter reports has “always been like that”. It is rather inclined to rain again in the afternoon. We have a rat drive after dinner, about nine thirty. The inevitable Siggers brings out a pop gun and fires three very dangerous rounds at rats, then is persuaded to put it away. The hunt proves unsuccessful, although we scare a few hundred rats. Thus the day ends. I forgot to mention rather an important matter – my long expected boots arrive, and so I can paddle about in the mud and keep the water out.

1 comment:

  1. Rats and mud - reality approacheth.

    I think I like that chap Siggers.

    ReplyDelete