Search This Blog

Thursday 6 January 2011

Diary Entry - 6th January, 1916

On going to the O.B. in the morning, I met Bee at Cambrin Church, and we spent the day up there. Everything was quiet and, on returning, I called in at the 56th battery to see Pat or Shipley, but they were both out, so I walked round the Tourieres loop, on the chance of meeting them returning from the O.B., but without success. One of our important landmarks has had a nasty knock: the left-hand chimney at Wingles has been hit and has broken off a third of the way up.

5 comments:

  1. this might be in the wrong post

    explanation of the verries light mentioned earlier on

    Very flares (named after E. W. Very, 1847–1907, US inventor) were signal flares, fired from a pistol (flare gun), used during World War I and World War II (and still used today). They were produced in three color variants: green, red, and "white star."

    The flares come in two sizes: 1-inch (26.5 mm) and 1.5-inch (38 mm); both sizes have a "burn time" of approximately five seconds.

    When radio silence was important aircraft and ground forces used the flares in colour combinations as specific-action signals and recognition signals

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Glenn, that's invaluable, please keep any other similar information coming (I worry I'm getting all the ordnance wrong, going on my grandfather's handwriting, and the fact he is writing under conditions that are far from calm.)_ I will amend 'verries' to 'Very's' in the relevant post tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahha ... I was too slow ... goodo ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have updated the map to include Wingles which is way out to the SE ... http://jstorry.blogspot.com/2010/12/walford-manifolds-ww1-diary.html

    ReplyDelete