Search This Blog

Saturday 14 January 2012

Diary Entry - 14th January, 1917

Walford: I arrived at the battery at one a.m., had a bite of supper, then turned in. Siggers went to battalion at midday to do liaison and I continued digging a hole for the Mess. Bailley as usual wandering about looking at the front. A few gas shells came over during the night.

Bee: I was relieved by Armytage and got back here about one p.m. I slept fairly well considering I camped on the floor and had people walking over the top of me all night. The line here is held by a series of outposts and you are in full view of the Hun if you go up in daylight. So, of course, everything has to be done at night. The Colonel went out with the General round his post at eleven p.m. It was a misty day so, of course, made the best of it and went out after timber and found a Hun dump of nine frames, an unlimited quantity.

No comments:

Post a Comment