Search This Blog

Friday 2 March 2012

Diary Entry - 2nd March 1917

Walford: In the morning I walked to the advanced wagon lines to see that all was well and that they were not doing any damage. The roads were very heavy and were cutting up under the continual frost and thaw 
which have been going on the last few days. After lunch, I went to advanced position and gave the section the lines of fire with No. 4 director and after doing so checked the line by walking onto the hill behind and reckoned they were two degrees out. Siggers registered and they worked out to be two degrees thirty out, so my guess was pretty good and, as the 15th Battery laid their lines with same director and had same error, we put it down to the error of the compass. After dinner, as ammunition had not arrived at forward guns, I had to go out and hunt for them. On arriving at the position, I found only one wagon had arrived. The others had stuck at the bottom of the valley and had dumped the ammunition there. I followed the track right up to the Bapaume Road and found ammunition dumped at intervals along the track. The track was very heavy going and most batteries had had trouble. I came home via a road at the east end of Courcelette where a lot of men were engaged in pulling 6” howitzers into position in the quarry and, as it was raining, they were having a lot of trouble.

Bee: Very foggy all day but still had to hang about for what good I couldn't see. But, thank goodness, after today, we hand over all these jobs to the 41st Brigade.

No comments:

Post a Comment