Search This Blog

Sunday 12 June 2011

Diary Entry - 12th June, 1916

At ten, I rode to the wagon line and gave a few messages to BSM, then set out for Bethune at twelve pm. The ground was very heavy as it was still raining and it took me two hours and thirty minutes to reach town. On landing there, I went straight to the barber's and had a clip and met several 33rd division men there - Wadman. The shopping kept me at it until three forty five and I had to get several interpreters to help me through. After tea at a nice shop near the Hotel de France, I walked towards Noeux les Mines as had sent my horses on there. It was not long befor a lorry/bus hove in sight and I found a RAMC man up beside the driver but managed to squeeze in beside him. The lorry stopped half way so we walked it as no other lorries or ambulances came our way. Found the horses waiting for me and rode on through Hersin and Bouvigny. On going along a disused road on Lorette, I noticed two dead Frenchmen, evidently left there since the great battle. They seem to be fairly casual about burying their dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment