Search This Blog

Sunday 16 October 2011

Diary Entry - 16th October, 1916

Walford: Monday, I remained at the OP all day. It was a well-built place of bricks, girders and concrete, but just like an icebox, as it was very draughty. The General and Carrington came round for half an hour in the morning, which put the wind up me as I did not know the front well, not having seen it before. Kellagher and Suttie also came up in the course of the afternoon, and I was relieved by Dean of the 71s at six.

Bee: A glorious day. I had to go and sit at the Brigade this afternoon as all of them had to go out. Had a very slack day on the whole. Then went to dinner there in the evening. The Colonel is very fed up as they are talking of sending him home to take charge of a new training school which is just being started. The Hun put a few 8-inch over into the village during the afternoon. One fell not very far from our Mess and one hit a house that we intended to live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment