Search This Blog

Friday 21 October 2011

Diary Entry - 21st October, 1916

Walford: Saturday. Cruikshank relieved me at eleven a.m. Luckily Bee had shared his breakfast with me, or I should have been left without any. As my horses were waiting for me on the Succerie side of the dressing station, Bee and I rode down together and my groom walked. In the afternoon, we rode over to Acheux, passing through Headeauville on the way. Siggers was coming with us, but had to go up to the trenches as Liaison officer. We came back by the wagon lines, which were in a state of bog, picked up Claudie there and rode back across country, passing a lot of 6-inch hows and 9.2 hows, a battery of the former being concealed as hay stacks.

Bee: A white frost last night, very cold, but the sun was out most of the day. Every was late coming up to the guns as they were out late last night, carting ammunition, but did not know that they were not coming up until late. So I pushed off about ten thirty a.m and had some breakfast with Walford at eleven a.m. Walford and I were at the guns last night. After lunch, we rode round to Acheux and visited the field cashier. The country back there is alive with troops and the roads are alive with traffic

No comments:

Post a Comment