Search This Blog

Monday 17 October 2011

Diary Entry - 17th October, 1916

Walford: Tuesday, I took it easy all day. It rained in the afternoon and continued all night. For some reason or other after lunch Br. Gordon and Soeul, my servant, took it into their heads to have a drink. Where they got it, I don't know. However they took too much and were so incapable that I had to leave the Mess so as I would not have to arrest anyone. After dinner, at seven, I set out for the guns, walking in front of the cook's cart to guide it. I call it walking, but it was more like wading through a mire of mud. Cruikshank was relieved and had to walk back and that evening it occurred to me that a relief in daylight would be a better idea.

Bee: Went to the 48th for lunch and found Siggers and Walrond there. They were very excited as they thought I had come to tell them I was going on leave. I then went up to have a look at the front from the 56th OP as we do liaison officer from there. Then came back had tea and started after tea for my 24 hours. There was a nasty sight in Roman Road Trench. Some infantry had evidently been hit and bits were all over the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment