Search This Blog

Thursday 5 April 2012

Diary Entry - 5th April, 1917

Walford: A beautiful sunny day, the first sign of spring we have had, and Hoyland and I rode into Bethune, starting from here about eleven fifteen a.m. We got in in time for lunch at one thirty-five in the Hotel de France. There were various odds and ends to be bought but we soon had what we wanted and, after a cup of tea with Blanche – name of the girl at the best teashop – we made for home. It was very nice coming back and we stopped below the Bois d'Ohlain, removed the horses' saddles and let them have a good roll and graze at the grass for about half an hour. From here, it was a pleasant ride across country. I forgot to add that before starting in the morning I went to the DAC and drew four horses and four mules, Sanger of D36 and I having the choice of a small bunch there. They were a poor lot and I think we got as good a choice as possible.

Bee: Today has been glorious, bright, still and warm, but I am afraid it is too good to last. I was at the guns most of the day. Claudet and Kershaw went up to wire cutting. This is one of those positions where the infantry walk right into, ignorant of danger. I had to stop a good many times to let them through. I very nearly got three men with one premature, so was extra careful afterwards. The most wonderful thing was there were very few Hun planes over during the day. After afternoon tea, Claudet and I went for a walk to Cabarett Road to have a look over at our old position at Ablain St Navaire. It is a wonderful sight – there are dozens of batteries right up to the church near Souchey. There are batteries practically on top of the hill. The whole place is fairly bristling with guns. I hardly knew the place. On our way back we met a young Sub out trying to shoot partridge with a revolver. We had a test barrage this morning at eight a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment