Search This Blog

Friday 27 April 2012

Letter from Lieutenant Colonel Goschen - 27th April, 1917

Dear Mr Manifold,

I am terribly sorry to have to write and tell you that your boy in the 15th battery was killed yesterday. Your son will have told you all the details. I want to tell you how dreadfully sorry all the 36th Brigade are. We all liked him immensely and I think thoroughly appreciated his untiring devotion to duty and his delightful company. I was very anxious that he should have come to me as Adjutant but he was not fond of office work and preferred to remain in his battery with his men and his horse.

He was a good sportsman in every way and you have my deepest sympathy in your loss.

Yours sincerely,

AA Goschen
Lt. Col
Commanding 36t Brigade, RFA

27th April, 1917

No comments:

Post a Comment