Search This Blog

Sunday 27 November 2011

Diary Entry - 27th November, 1916

Bee: It was a quite decent day, hard frost last night. I spent most of my time tidying up the stationery box and sorting papers. Also discarded a few things out of my kit. After lunch, I rode over to Acheux and visited the Field Cashier and drew money for all officers in the battery. The roads were in a frightful mess. They are just a sea of mud and full of holes. The main street in Acheux was being completely redone. There were 1,000 men and five steamrollers working on half a mile of road. I went across country and round about the ammunition dumps the mud was simply frightful. I came back in time for tea as it was starting to rain. Wilman does not look very well this evening. It is touch and go whether he goes to hospital or not. If he does go he will probably never get back to the division as we are out of area at present. Orders came tonight that all previous orders re going out to rest are cancelled.

No comments:

Post a Comment