Search This Blog

Saturday 19 November 2011

Letter Home (Bee) - 19th November, 1916

British Officers' Club
APO No. 1
BEF

Dear Mother and Father

Leave has now come to an end, and I am on my way back to the battery after having had a very good time.

The weather was very cold, and it snowed yesterday. I saw a lot of Australians at the Carlisle Club. It is a regular meeting place. I saw Alan Bell and Adrian Ritchie. They are looking splendid and I expect will be going out again shortly. Bill Hunter is in hospital. He had a small operation but looks well. I spent a little time every day with the dentist and was fixed up by a man called Morris in Park Street, a New Zealander whose patients seemed to be mostly Australians. I needed a lot of things and thought I would get them all under the same roof and save time, so I went to Harrods. It took me three hours. I told one man it was harder to find your way about than in the trenches. His reply was, “I hope we treat you better than they do there”. My goodness, they are slow. I had lunch with Mr Brett one day in the city – he, poor man, has just had his house robbed. The burglars took everything that was silver and most things had been given him before he left Australia. I saw Claudia Brown, whoever she might be now I don't know, and she told me about Reggie who as usual has fallen on his feet again and has a staff job in Salonika I think. Alec Mackintosh has at last got over on leave, after 18 months. He looks well but did not have much time as Ella had a few days off and I hear the fat is in the fire as they are not allowed to get married. Poor Mim Knox, I saw her the day Bill had departed for the front, and she was rather sad. Had lunch with Barbara, who came up from the Streeters. She looks splendid. She was quite excited when I told her where Jack was. I did not see John Streeter but hear he is a great boy. Oh, I have had my photo taken and have asked Mim to fix them up for me. I saw a lot of her and she's working hard in a canteen. I went down and saw it – a splendid place, most wonderfully comfortable, and the colonial troops are awfully lucky to have such a place.

Well mum and dad I intended to send you something but could not think of anything that might be of use, but nevertheless I thought of you. I sent Aplin a pipe, Mr Gray some cigars, addressed to dad, which I hope he will clear through the Customs.

Love and a Merry Christmas to you all,

Bee.

No comments:

Post a Comment